Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring tornado drills

Here's the timeline of how I received the evening's Test Tornado Warning from various sources, including the National Weather Service, through my cable television provider, and other channels related to the largest employer in my hometown.


7:36 p.m. All three of my NOAA weather radios went off.

7:37 The TV is on pretty loud...  "Did you just hear sirens?"  "I'm not sure."  (Yes, they were going off.)

7:38 Tweet from @IUEMC.

7:39 EAS activiation on all cable TV channels.

7:40 Email from "IU Notify" system arrives.  It was time-stamped at 7:37, but took 3 minutes to get through the getrave.com servers to my inbox.  (I verified this by looking at the email headers.  I'll be happy to provide a screen capture of them.)

7:42 Tweet from @IUBloomington.

7:49 The average "lead time" for a tornado warning is 13 minutes -- meaning a tornado could have just hit your home.  How much lead time would each system have given you?  Backtrack from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment